18 June 2010

Friday: What's Cooking In The Kitchen...

This weekend we are out camping again. Between camping and our season tickets to the Rapids AND 16 weddings all out of state; this summer is going to be a busy one.

I love it!

This week in the kitchen I ran my dehydrator ALL week! I think it is one of the most used and most loved appliances in my kitchen. Here is what it was filled with:

1. Blueberries (took about 15 hours)
2. Garlic (took over 48, only because I didn't slice them thin enough)
3. Apples (15 hours)
4. Mango (8 hours)
5. Onion (12 hours)

I used the Garlic and Onion to help refill some spices in my cabinet. I plan on doing red pepper at sometime too and making a steak seasoning/rub for grilling!
The fruit is always great by itself but we also love to mix it into trail mix for camping and traveling.

For camping this weekend we are eating the usual. Hobo Dinners, Hotdogs, Smores, etc. I am excited about some homemade baked beans I have been testing out. I made some earlier in the week and decided to do another batch for our weekend in the woods.

BAKED BEANS:
* 2 cups dried beans (rinse well)
* 4 tsp chicken or beef broth (optional)
* 1 large onion: diced finely
* 3 cloves garlic: diced finely
* 6 cups water

Place the above ingredients in crockpot on high for 6 hours or low for 10-12. When beans are soft enough to eat add the following:

* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 1/3 cup mustard
* salt and pepper to taste

I make them ahead of time and then just reheat them over the open fire while we are grilling hotdogs!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! Enjoy the beautiful weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment