06 August 2010

Friday: What's Cooking In The Kitchen...

Seems like a long time since I have had a Friday at home to just relax and get some stuff done. Our weekends have been so busy and fall isn't looking like it will slow down much. I am loving all the time with friends and family we are getting but I do treasure my time at home with my amazing husband and super cuddly puppy!

Today in the kitchen I am getting some meal prep done. We have been getting an order of organic fresh fruits and veggies from Door to Door Organics, such a great company! We refer everyone to them and already have several people ordering as well. So every other tuesday we receive a 30 lb box on our doorstep and I get to be creative. Loving it!

Today in the Kitchen:

1. Coleslaw - our box contained a head of cabbage, carrots, and onions and I happen to have the ingredients for the dressing on hand. Can't wait to try this! Here is the recipe I am using:

  • 8 cups finely diced cabbage (about 1 head)
  • shopping
  • 1/4 cup diced carrots (finely)
  • 2 tablespoons minced onions
  • Dressing:
  • 1/3 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1/4 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • 2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
  • Directions:
    • Cabbage and carrots must be finely diced.
    • Pour cabbage and carrot mixture into large bowl and stir in minced onions.
    • Prepare the dressing, mix until smooth and creamy.
    • Pour over Slaw and mix thoroughly.
    • Cover bowl and refrigerate several hours or overnight before serving.
    • 2. Pulled Pork Burritos - a coworker of mine gave me a great idea the other day! I told her I was making pot roast in my crockpot and she said her mom use to make that and then use the leftover pork to make burritos the next night. Mine will be more like fajitas with the onions and green peppers but I am so excited for this meal. Today I am preparing the pork with some cumin and green chilis to use in burritos sometime this weekend.
    • 3. I am also thawing chicken for Stir Fry this week and marinating the other part of the package for Buffalo Wings too. So I am cutting up all kinds of veggies (cabbage, zucchini, carrots, tri colored peppers, onion) Oh yeah and Lentils too! (the veggies reminded me)
    If I find the time I might make some chocolate chip cookies for a bbq this weekend but with Kevin's new schedule on Fridays coming home at noon that just might not happen! Well, except when he reads this and pouts they probably will get made afterall :)

    Have a great weekend and hope you all are enjoying summer! I know we are and are excited for Fall too.

No comments:

Post a Comment