28 August 2010

Pickles: part 1.5




I forgot I wanted to put my new pickle recipe here too! I love both olives and pickles and rarely buy them because they are so pricey. Specially when Kevin doesn't care for either one so I have to eat the whole jar myself. I decided earlier this summer that I was going to try making my own pickles and went hunting for canning supplies. I didn't end up buying/finding any but instead found a refrigerated pickle recipe that turned out AMAZING!

Preparing Cucumbers:

* if using slices cut 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch thick
* if using spears cut into eighths

Place cut cucumbers in jars (i just reused old ones we had at home, so a lemonade jar and a jelly jar worked great!)

Chop 1-2 cloves garlic and take 1-2 sprigs fresh dill and place in the jar with the cucumbers.

Make Sour Brine:
3 cups distilled white vinegar or cider vinegar
3 cups water
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sea salt
2 tablespoons sugar

combine in a sauce pan and bring to a boil, let boil for 2 mins then remove from heat.

Pour Sour Brine into the jars over the cucumbers, garlic and dill. Put lid on tight and shake the jar. Place in the fridge for 24 hours and then enjoy! Will stay good for up to 1 month in the fridge!

Who knew this would be so easy and they turned out better than my favorite brand in the stores!



2 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you my lovely cooking/homemaking friend:) The things you do with food amaze me. So glad you guys are able to live the life you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rochelle, miss you... moving to denver soon right?

    ReplyDelete