10 May 2010

garden.






Growing up my parents always had a garden and I remember them working on it together. Dad did the tilling, helped with planting, etc. Mom planted and picked and roped me into helping often against my will. Well here is another time that I am thankful that my mom pulled me into something I didn't see any point in doing.

I remember my parents living "green" before it became popular. Shopping at our one and only (still to this day) all natural food store in town and growing most of our vegetables, even some fruit. They were and are resourceful people. Something I am so proud and honored that they instilled in me.

When Kevin and I looked for a place to live we had on the top of our list a place to have a garden. I wanted just something small to experiment and get started with. Last year was our first attempt and it turned out great! So much fun and quality time together was had. This year we hope to do the same.

We did our first planting indoors and also found
some organic starters on freecycle . On saturday we transplanted outdoors and are ready to go. Kevin found organic potting soil at Big Lots for $8.00 a bag, such a steal! We needed some because our soil in our garden patch is very clay like and not garden friendly.

This year we planted
* tomatoes
* sweet peppers
* hot peppers
* onions
* cilantro
* broccoli
* squash
* strawberries
* wild flowers
* zinnas
* african daisy
* geraniums
* marigolds

My parents are hard honest work
ers. They are amazing. Both of them did everything to provide the best for my sister and I growing up; and still working hard as they continue to provide a strong foundation for us to model our marriage after and our work ethic. Our garden is for us to in enjoy but also in their honor. Thanks mom and dad for teaching me the importance of spending time together and for teaching us to love each other as you two do.

No comments:

Post a Comment