26 March 2010

Friday: Day 8 and Reflections

Today is my day to finish up cleaning out the freezer and pantry.

I have three things going on:

1. making homemade croutons - we take the ends of bread and freeze it, when there is a bunch I pull it out and chop it up mix with olive oil and some seasonings and bake for 1 hour at 200 degrees in the oven. It saves for months in our pantry and we eat them on salads and soups.
Today I am making 2 batches --> a. olive oil with Tastefully Simple Onion Onion b. olive oil with Tastefully Simple Spinach and Herb Mix

2. Dried Apples - I use old apples that are sitting around and slice them and place in my dehydrator for 10 hours. Kevin's favorite snack!

3. Baked Beans - place dry beans in crockpot with twice as much broth (i used chicken) then I add cilantro, garlic, onions, cumin, and chili pepper. Let cook all day on LOW (about 8 hours). They will go great with our pulled pork sandwiches tonight!

Reflection:
Well it has been a good week and a whole lot easier than I ever imagined. First the struggles: Kevin drinks about a gallon of milk a week and we didn't have any all week, but as soon as I came home thursday night with a gallon he was happy again :) I struggled with it snowing outside and wanting to grill so much of the meat we had in our freezer. Thus I had to get a little more creative and make soup instead!
Our successes: everything we made we loved and would eat again. We had enough to cook in bulk so that we always had something for leftovers to eat in our lunches. Also I didn't throw anything out, we used enough to make lots of room to freeze our garden this summer and room in our pantry for more Tastefully Simple products! YAH

Now off to finish the laundry, check the croutons and play with Moose!


2 comments:

  1. So proud of you and wish you would be closer to teach me how to cook like you do:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. no problem, just move to denver :)

    ReplyDelete