22 April 2010

I live for Fridays... part 3



What's Cooking in the Kitchen Today...

1. REFRIED BEANS: put 1 cup of dried beans (black or pinto) with 4 cups of water in crockpot on HIGH for 8 hours. While cooking, add onions, garlic, cilantro, cumin, chili powder, and salt. When beans are cooked and soft place them in a blender or food processor until they are smooth. YUM!
2. TORTILLA CHIPS: we had some old tortillas going bad and because I try not to waste or throw anything out I cut the into triangles and put them in the oven at 200 degrees for 30 mins. Perfect! (and they will be great with the refried beans!)

3. APPLE CHIPS: slice apples in rounds and place in food dehydrator for 15-20 hours. Kevin loves these dried apples for snack during the week. (you could do these in the oven as well on low, just would need to be home for a long period of time)

4. CROUTONS: slice up old bread, today I used a garlic pull apart loaf. drizzle with EVOO and some dried onions/salt (i use tastefully simple onion onion) spread out on a baking sheet bake at 200 degrees for 30 mins, stir halfway through. I save in my pantry for up to 4 weeks, if they last that long :)

5. LEMON KALE CHIPS: I had first heard about this from my friend Amanda. We loved them and have been making them ever since. They are a great healthy snack during our work weeks. Check out Elana's recipe - lemon kale chips * side note: go easy on the salt, they can get very salty quick!

6. MILLET MUFFINS: trying this out for breakfast on Saturday. Here is the recipe I am using - muffins

Also on the kitchen list today: since kevin comes home for lunch on fridays I am making HOMEMADE MAC AND CHEESE (click on the link to visit our cooking club blog for the recipe) and making up a quick LASAGNA to have in the fridge for a dinner sometime this week.

I promise I don't live full time in my kitchen!

If you try any of these recipes I would love to know how they turned out for you. Or please post other suggestions of what is going on in your kitchens!

No comments:

Post a Comment